While Halloween is full of spooky fun for us, it can be just plain spooky for our pets. Here are some Halloween pet safety tips to keep your furry friend safe and less anxious.
- Do not feel your pets Halloween candy. Chocolate and xylitol are especially dangerous for pets.
- If you use candles to light your jack-o-lanterns, keep them safely away from pets.
- Keep glow sticks and other glow jewelry away from pets.
- Make sure your pet is wearing a collar with up-to-date tags. Pets can easily escape through an open door while you’re distracted with trick-or-treaters.
- If you plan on putting a costume on your pet, make sure it’s comfortable and fits properly so breathing isn’t constricted. Take the time to let your pets get used to the costumes before Halloween. Never leave your pet unsupervised while in costume. Make sure your pet still wears collar and tags while in the costume.
- Keep your pet inside, even outside dogs. The outdoors can be especially dangerous on Halloween if your pet manages to escape your yard.
- If your pet is wary of strangers or gets anxious when someone is at your door put them in another room during trick-or-treating hours.
- If your pet is prone to anxiety, consider dosing them with one of our Healthy Hemp Pet Company products to reduce anxiety. Dose them prior to the onset of trick-or-treaters, and plan for a 30-minute absorption rate. If you’re new to our hemp products for pets, you can order a trial size of our popular CannaNatural. Another great option for situational anxiety is our CannaDrops, which comes in two flavors: Coconut CannaDrops and Salmon CannaDrops.