The Fourth of July holiday, for some, is the best part of Summer. Sadly, our pets don’t always agree. Firework anxiety in pets is a huge issue. More pets run away from home over this holiday than any other day of the year. As pet parents ourselves, nothing scares us more than lost pets. Here are five tips to keep your pets feeling safe and secure during firework season:
- Keep your pets safely away from fireworks: Pets are sensitive to loud noises, flashing lights, and strong smells. The combination of all three during a firework show is bound to upset your pet. Be sure to leave your pet safely indoors, and if possible with a sound machine, radio, or television left on to help block out some of the loud noises.
- If your pet is frightened by fireworks, get additional help: If your pet experiences fear during thunderstorms, it’s a good indication that fireworks will also frighten them. Don’t worry, we can help! Our products may alleviate situational anxiety such as fireworks. If you’ve not used our products before, now is the perfect time to try them out. Order Healthy Hemp Pet Company products online or find a pet store or clinic that carries our hemp pet products. Check our pet retailer page here.
- Make sure your pet has a collar with readable ID tags: All pets (even indoor pets) should always have a collar with ID tags. It’s even better if your pet is microchipped. If your pet does escape and become lost, contact your local animal control and surrounding animal shelters immediately.
- Wear your pet out prior to fireworks: Take your pet for a lengthy walk or playdate before the fireworks start. Give them plenty of opportunities to relieve themselves to avoid potty breaks outside during the fireworks.
- Secure your home: Most pet owners have already secured their homes, but take additional precaution during firework season. Dogs have been known to bolt through screens trying to escape loud noises, so close all windows and doors. Check your fence for any loose boards or openings that your pet could slip through or dig out of.
Please remember fireworks are terrifying for pets, so be extra loving and patient with your fur babies. We, at Healthy Hemp Pet Company, wish you and your beloved pet a safe and happy holiday.